
Last night, Jason, Janet (Jason's mom), and I attended Angelo State's hall of fame induction dinner. Jason made sure to wear his purple tie- Ha! Greg Stokes, Jason's best friend and fellow linebacker in college was one of the 3 people inducted. Grant Teaff who was very successful head coach at Baylor was one of the keynote speakers. He also coached at McMurray and Angelo State and wrote the book, "I Believe."
I've talked about Greg before, but just in case you don't know the story, Greg was killed in a car accident (fell asleep at the wheel and flipped his truck several times) after he and Jason's next to last game their Senior year. Greg was a remarkable football player. He played middle linebacker, was a 3 time All-American (almost unheard of to receive that honor 3 times), and a Harlom Hill candidate which is the equivalent to the Heisman in Division I. More than likely, Greg would have been drafted to play professional football. Greg has a twin brother, Derek who accepted the award on his behalf. The ironic thing is, Derek and his wife have twin boys. I believe God definitely had a hand in that! Greg also had an older brother who died a few years ago. His family has been through a lot.
It was so hard for Derek to get through his speech. He cried most of the way through it, but he was very nice to mention Jason. Coach Martin (ASU's defensive coordinator for years and Jason and Greg's position coach) was there and his wife told me after the dinner that Greg's death was probably hardest on Jason and Coach Martin. Jason didn't know this at the time, but his coaches actually called his Mom b/c they were so concerned about him. Jason was the last person to see Greg, as Greg left Jason's apartment after midnight the night he died. Of course, Jason blamed himself for letting him go. I think one of the reasons Jason didn't go into coaching immediately after graduating (he went to Occupational therapy school at Texas Tech) was because football reminded him so much of Greg. He didn't want anything to do with football.
I know the dinner was hard for Jason. He said Greg and Derek had so many of the same mannerisms. They weren't identical twins, but Jason said he'd look at him and see Greg. I heard him tell C. Martin, "after all these years, it doesn't get any easier, does it."
The meal was wonderful... a little too light for Jason. For $25 a meal, he said he expected a chicken fried steak (typical man). We had to stop at Whataburger afterwards. It was really neat for Jason to see all of his coaches, professors, some players etc. They were all kidding him about his gray hair.
We were also so thankful that Janet was able to come. She had been in San Antonio visiting a friend who was sick and took the time to come and had to drive back to Odessa by herself. I guess she's used to that, since she made every football game this year but one and actually took me to most of the games. I have been very lucky, b/c when we were in Wichita Falls, my parents were 35 minutes away and took me to all the games after Morgan was born. Before Morgan, I always rode with other coaches' wives.
Anyways, Janet came to a football banquet at Old High one time so Jason always jokes that he's the only 34 (turning 35 on Valentine's day) man whose mom still comes to his football banquets. Greg's death was very hard on Janet too, b/c she had to see her son in so much pain which I think must be one of the hardest things for a parent. At the time, she was always reminding Jason that his faith was imperative and although it didn't sink in at the time, he eventually "got it," and he has one of the strongest faiths of anyone I know.







9 comments:
I am glad ya'll got to go. It is a touching story.
Friday night was very special and it was great to be with the 2 of you. It was wonderful for Jason to be able to see the many people at ASU who have had such an impact on Jason's life.
Greg was a great guy and he and Jason were the best of friends. To have that special bond and relationship is very special.
Life is so sweet and precious and none of us really knows what might be around the corner. It is so important to savor life, make each day count, and to never forget to let the ones we love how much they truly mean to us with each and every opportunity.
Thanks so much for sharing this special story :)
What a wonderful tribute for Jason's friend and his family. I am sure that it was a bitter sweet time for all. Thanks for sharing such a precious story and putting things in perspective. Love ya!
I am very glad Jason made it through those rough times and what a impact it has made on him. He is lucky to have a mom like his to have been there to help him during that difficult time. Glad you were all able to attend and then make it home safely.
My parents went to this banquet also. one of my dad's team mates at ASU was also getting inducted. I'll have to tell my dad that I read your blog. He was a coach and I'm thinking might even know your husband. Small world. From what you've written he will know exactly who I am talking about.
I love this story. It's very touching and it sounds like Greg was an awesome guy all round. He was lucky to have a friend like your husband.
BTW-I think I might have met before. I can't tell you where, but you look SO familiar to me. Who knows. If you have time, run by my blog and see if you recognize me. I'll try and remember, but I have really racked my brain. I know you know several people that I do. Erica Beard and Julie Guffey. So maybe that will help. I have no idea. :)
Well, we don't live in H. Parks. So that can't be it. Did you go to Julie Evans shower at Erica's house?? I just can't think of it. I think I might have seen you at the Vera West building on Monday oddly enough. But I have thought that I recognized you before that. I didn't want to say anything in fear you might think that I'm a stalker. Not in real life, just in blogland. :)
My dad is Gary Gaines. He never coached at ASU. He has coached lots of places though. I'm sure you know that lifestyle. He was the Head coach at Abilene High and he also coached at SA Central and then came to ACU. I'm pretty sure I don't know you that way, but my dad know just about every coach in Texas it seems. He is the AD in Lubbock now. So anyway. I'll see them this weekend and write back to let you know if he knows Jason. My e-mail is nickelgs@clearwire.net if you want to e-mail me instead of getting personal stuff in the comment section. :)
Do ya'll go to Southern Hills? Where does Jason coach?
OK you're REALLY going to think that I am stalking you now. I just scrolled down and saw an ACU football link and clicked on it and searched for your husbands name and HE COACHES THERE!!! What a small world. My dad was the head coach that left when Chris came. They are doing SO awesome! AND....my dad also coached in Odessa at Permian. I'm scared to say that in fear Jason coached at OHS. :) So anyway. I would be SHOCKED if my dad didn't know Jason now. Ask him if he knows Coach Gaines. That still doesn't explain why YOU look familiar to me though. I'll keep thinking on it.
I'm so glad that we figured that out. We will have to meet up sometime for coffee or something. It sounds like we might have a lot in common. :)
We are literally walking out of the door to go to Lubbock. It is my nieces birthday. My brother that USED to live in WF now lives in Lubbock. And of course my parents live there now too. So...we are trying to get gone. When we get back in town, I'll write some more. I'll have more time then. Have a good weekend. I look forward to getting to know you better. :)
Post a Comment