Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Heartbreaking

The following is an e-mail from a friend about a little boy named Julian. Evidently, Julian's family got to know Payton's family while they were both going through chemo. Payton's Dad used to coach with Jason in Olney. He had quit coaching and he and his family (5 kids, 5 boys and 1 baby girl recently born) were missionaries in Peru. Payton has a rare form of cancer (can't remember the exact name). He is going through chemo and doing well, but Julian (who the e-mail was about) isn't doing well and they don't think he's going to make it.

The e-mail reminded me of the important things in life and what really matters. I know I get distracted from that all the time. I know this precious little boy will get to go be in the most marvelous place ever, heaven. I know that has to give his parents peace but the thought of losing a child is absolutely unbearable to me. Please pray for Payton and the following little boy, Julian. Here is the e-mail from his Mom.

My little man is now on oxygen. His breathing has slowed down. He doesnt stay awake much anymore and has a hard time talking. He is working so hard on his wings but yet holding back...
Do you have kids?
Do you ever lay down by them? Do they ever crawl up in your bed ? Do you watch them sleep? You probably do , BUT , do you sit there and count how many breaths they take in a minute? Julian is down to 12 . Not enough.
Could you please start doing this if you dont already do it? Have one night a week or every two weeks , where your whole family gets in PJ's and let everyone fall asleep together. I know some of you have more than 2 kids...take turns. Let them sleep by you or on you , just really close. Let them talk to you about anything and everything until they fall asleep. And yep, you might not sleep well and wake up with the sore neck, but it will be a forever memory , a priceless gift you are giving your children and yourself... Dont listen to the "specialists " when they tell you it is not healthy to sleep with your kids, they have never lost a child obviously or they would know that not only it is healthy ,it is part of life. What I remember as a child and a teenager and a grownup is how safe I felt falling asleep in my parents bed, by my mom talking to her... Dont listen to the ones who say how sick it is to have your teenage son come to your bed and lay with you for a while before bed or in the mornings. They are your babies and that never changes... And always remember as they talk to you to respond to them in a loving way... Tell them about God, Jesus, tell them about angels, tell them about life and death... If you dont know about death ,it scares you. Knowledge is power. You can deal with things if you know what they are... And as much as we hate talking about it ,kids need to know ,it is essential for us to answer them and not dismiss them and their questions.
I really dont know where I am going with this... Just love your kids and tell them you do because they are special and because they are a gift...And also because you never know what life might throw at you...

5 comments:

ajphillips said...

That's sad...it definitely made me tear up. I could never imagine how that feels!

Shelley said...

Thanks so much for sharing this family's need with us. We will definately pray for them and I will for sure cuddle with my kids a little more... just because! Love the new blog design!

The Wiemers said...

That is something we all need to think about. We don't always realize how blessed we are!

Anonymous said...

I remember when you girls were at home on Saturday mornings you all three would come and get in bed with me and we would talk, laugh and giggle. Then there were those late nights when I would be asleep in your beds waiting for you to come home and then the long talks we would have at midnight. Times cherished. When Morgan spent the night with me and she sat up in the bed and said, "Ganna, I love you." Times cherished and to never be forgotten. Sometimes even now, one of you will even come crawl in bed with me and just talk. Children are a blessing and I could not imagine the pain this family must be feeling. Praying that God gives them comfort. We should all remember this before we get upset with each and fuss.

Shelley said...

Ok.. so did you figure out your new look or is Ashley helping you!!! Looks really cute :) I am jealous...