Monday, June 28, 2010

Kemah Boardwalk, Johnson Space Center, and San Jacinto Monument and Battleship

Since the wedding was on a Friday evening, we spent Saturday at the Johnson Space Center, Kemah Boardwalk, and then ventured to La Porte to see the San Jacinto monument. It was 9:00 p.m. when we got the monument, so unfortunately it was closed but it was breathtaking and the battleship was amazing. I hope we can see it in daylight one day. My history buff husband was telling Morgan all about the Battle of San Jacinto and she asked about a thousand questions.  Even today, she wanted Jason to tell her the story of how the Texans defeated Santa Anna and won their independence from Mexico.

Here we are at the Johnson Space Center.  We saw Saturn 5, which is 363 feet long!  Crazy!!

Next we headed to the Kemah Boardwalk located on Galveston Bay.  We enjoyed a boat ride... The Boardwalk Beast!  It was a blast!  Morgan, Jason, and I enjoyed getting soaked on it while Gran Jan took Kennedy to ride the train and carousel.  Morgan and Jason also rode the aviator!  Morgan loved it!


We also had dinner at Landry's which was right on the bay.  It was fun to watch all the huge boats and yachts!  All in all, it was a great day... a little bit a fun, a lot of family, great food, a little history to hopefully help our children realize how blessed we are to live in the great state of TEXAS and that freedom doesn't come free!  Lots of wonderful MEMORIES for our family were made!


16 comments:

Heather said...

So fun Whitney!! So glad that you have got to enjoy all this in the Houston/Galveston area!! We have never been down, except to the space center. The pics are great and I think we need to do this soon!!

Liz said...

i think it's pretty incredible that morgan was so interested in these things at such a young age! sounds like you have a smarty pants on your hands! beauty and brains - can't ask for more! such a fun family trip! you guys have so much fun together!!!!

Love Being A Nonny said...

Love the matching outfits!

ajphillips said...

Morgan is looking so old...and I think she looks like her Aunt Joc

Michelle said...

What great wedding pics. Lots of family fun! Kemah is about 35 min. from us and is our one of our favortie places.

Brandi said...

When are u guys going? Wicked is a must!!!!! So is the 3 hour boat cruise... You will see parts of NY that you wouldn't otherwise. Buy a 2 day pass for the Grayline double decker bus tour. It will take u everywhere! plus, u can get off and back on at the bus stops. Have dinner on one of the piers...on Hudson river not East river. Carnegies deli was delish! A lot of your cash will be spent on Taxis and food! Soooooo fun! Let me know if u have any questions. Best vacay ever! Oh, try to get direct flight if u can. If not, you'll be traveling a lot. And Lagourdia airport...ugh!!!!!

Brandi said...

When are u guys going? Wicked is a must!!!!! So is the 3 hour boat cruise... You will see parts of NY that you wouldn't otherwise. Buy a 2 day pass for the Grayline double decker bus tour. It will take u everywhere! plus, u can get off and back on at the bus stops. Have dinner on one of the piers...on Hudson river not East river. Carnegies deli was delish! A lot of your cash will be spent on Taxis and food! Soooooo fun! Let me know if u have any questions. Best vacay ever! Oh, try to get direct flight if u can. If not, you'll be traveling a lot. And Lagourdia airport...ugh!!!!!

Audra said...

How fun! You all always look fabulous and happy!

Ruby said...

You guys are such a beautiful family! I love your girls!

The Wiemers said...

That's neat and what a big girl Morgan is riding that ride! Glad y'all got to stop by on your way home! I know Cooper was excited to see everyone!!!

Surrounded-By-Boys said...

Looks like summer fun to me! I'm so glad y'all had a nice little getaway!

Lauren said...

What fun! looks like you all are having some great trips this summer! love how excited morgan looks in all of these pix! adorable!

Ashley said...

Looks like a very fun vacation! We must make a trip down there when Ava gets older so she can see all of the historical landmarks. Loved all of the pictures. Your girls are always so cute in their matching outfits.

Janet aka "Gran Jan" said...

I had such a good time. I will never forget my first visit to the San Jacinto Monument--it was breathtaking--the reflecting pool and the full moon. Makes me so proud to be a Texan.

Loved being with you at Kemah. The entire wedding weekend was great and thanks for helping to make it so special. Morgan was the best helper!!

Love you with all my heart!!

Jackie said...

With a new house and the wedding, your summer has been busy!! lol I haven't commented in awhile but I look forward to reading your posts always!! Your girls are getting so big! We were in Abilene this weekend and I thought about you!

Levi's cousin is coming to ACU in the fall for track so I have a feeling we will be in Abilene more! :)

Chris said...

What a beautiful family you have! Looks like you had lots of fun! Isn't counseling GREAT? I love the students, I can't imagine doing anything else in my life! :) Enjoy the rest of the summer!