Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Linebackers

1 more day until game time... if you want, you can watch the game NATION WIDE on CBS College Sports and Fox Sports Southwest at 7:00 P.M. Thursday night! Please pray for our team to play at their highest level and to stay healthy!
Jason played linebacker at Angelo State and started as a sophomore on Varsity at Odessa High School. I think his Dad was also a linebacker, so being a lineback runs through his blood. Even though he is the Defensive Coordintor, his heart and soul is with the linebackers. They did a preview on the linebacker position on ACU's website today. Here's the article:


ABILENE – The linebacker group at ACU is the best the program has had in several years and is probably the best position group on the 2009 squad.
"The linebacker group is the strength of our team," ACU head coach Chris Thomsen said. "We've got guys in that position who have given us great production and leadership over the last three seasons. "
One of the most productive linebackers in the Lone Star Conference over the last two seasons is junior Fred Thompson, who returns for his third season as a starter. In two seasons, Thompson has 8.5 sacks and 29.5 tackles for loss, including 7.5 sacks and 14.0 tackles for loss in 2008.
Other returning starters are juniors Bryson Lewis and Eric Edwards also return, and both earned all-LSC South Division honors last year with Lewis making the second team and Edwards earning honorable mention honors.
"All three of those guys have been all-conference players, and all three have provided great leadership," Thomsen said.
Courtney Lane is the other starter on the outside. Lane transferred to ACU two years ago from Tyler Junior College, but hasn't played since 2006. However, he performed well enough in two-a-days to earn a starting spot.
The key backups for the Wildcats will be seniors Reggie Mathis, Arthur Johnson and Kevin Washington, junior Casey Carr and redshirt freshman L.B. Suggs.
"I feel really good about this position and the guys we have there," Thomsen said. "We've got a lot of continuity at the position, and that's allowed us to add different blitz packages and stunts this year that we just haven't been able to run the last couple of years. I think that will really help us this season."

11 comments:

Glenna said...

Loved seeing picture of Jason, so hard at work.

ajphillips said...

I'm ready for Thursday! I got Jordan a new purple polo shirt just for the games this year!

Mr. and Mrs. B said...

We do play GV. My stomach has been in knots about it for two weeks now. Good Luck to you guys tomorrow night. I want ya'll to beat NW so bad. They definitely left a VERY bad taste in my mouth after we played them in the playoffs. I have to work tomorrow night, but I hope to be able to sneak over to a room and watch at least part of the game.

Janet aka "Gran Jan" said...

I'm fired up and working on my game face...!!!

Channa, Oh its the Coachs Wife said...

Good Luck tomorrow night!!

The Gilliland Family said...

Awesome! Good luck on the first game :)

Laurie said...

You have beautiful little girls. I love the blond hair and blue eyes. Yes, they are very close in age to my girls.

Val said...

Good luck - we will be watching - well me and possibly the girls - I think my husband wants me to DVR it because he was talking about it last week. I'm from Missouri - and NW Missouri has always been great at football and we know a few of the Coaches that have been and are there- In Missouri the NWMS and Pitt State was always a great game to go see. But since I feel like I know you - I will be routing for ACU!! :) Looking forward to it!

the tichenor family said...

We have our DVR set to record! Go Wildcats!!

Heather said...

Hoping you guys win tonight!! I think I am going to watch! Can't wait to hear all about from you!

Mr. and Mrs. B said...

Congrats on the win!!! So excited for ya'll. Got to watch a good part of the game and it looked like the defense played really well...makes me all the more nervous for when we play ya'll in October!