Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A $12 bathroom makeover...

After posting pictures of my Master bath for "Show us where you live Friday," I decided my bathroom needed some help! I told you that I didn't want to spend money to add a pretty frame b/c we are planning to sell our house. I changed my mind and decided it wouldn't cost very much if I found a frame at Hobby Lobby 1/2 off or at Kirklands but when we tried taking the mirrors down we found out they are glued to our walls so we decided to nix that plan. So, I looked at what I already had and tried to make the bathroom flow with my bedroom more. I spent $12 at Hancock Fabrics on fringe (will need to get another 1/2 yard tomorrow). That's all the money I spent and I think my bathroom looks better!

Here's my bedroom so you get an idea of the color scheme I was trying to work with...


I ran out of fringe to finish the curtain. I already had this material and I just glued the curtain, but will probably see if my Mom can sew it and make it look a little better. I just wanted an idea of what it would look like.

I didn't have the fringe on the curtain yet. I wish this mirror was just clipped on so I could add a nice framed mirror!

I already had these towels... bought them at Steinmart during Spring Break.
I plan to cover the stool with this fabric and put the fringe around it, but you get the idea.

Already had all of this!
Added some fringe to the lamp and a tassle in the middle of the tie.

Any ideas on how to spruce our shower area up a little... obviously it's just a shower, but I think it would be cool to have a big "J" on the front of it. I'm not sure what to use to do that!
Thanks to Sunday, I just ordered this lettering in J for my shower door!

So, there you go... a $12 makeover.

10 comments:

Tara G. said...

Just a thought and I am not an expert, but could you get some wood molding and paint or stain it the color you want and glue it to the mirror? Maybe HGTV has a video or something. I have no wisdom for your shower- that's a tough one and I'll be interested to see how you solve it!

Sunday said...

I love your decorating style! Check out these post from Southern Hospitality (one of my favorite decorating blogs). http://southernhospitality-rhoda.blogspot.com/2009/02/framing-those-boring-mirrors.html I copied this idea from Rhoda for two of my bathrooms. I have really long bathroom mirrors, so they cost me about $40 to frame out (each--that includes paint). It is a huge transformation! I also think a "J" would look wonderful on your shower door. I have a vinyl "M" on mine and it made all the difference. One day I'll get pictures posted of my upstairs makeover, but I want everything to be perfect. Here is where I bought the vinyl "M" on etsy. http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6074056

Good luck!

mondie said...

You can come spruce my baths up. I will give you 12 dollars to make mine look that good.

Ashlee said...

My sister sells Uppercase Living and she put a huge "P" in a really pretty brown and it dresses it up a ton. Here is her e-mail if want to order one they are really reasonable phillips.shellie@yahoo.com

They have all different styles too!!

Meredith said...

Hey, I was going to say that if you want a "J" on your shower, you can go to either Michael's or Hobby Lobby and they sell this stuff that makes your glass look like it is etched. My mom did it to her front door. You just have to put up a stencil of what you want and then the stuff I think is in a spray can. When you take off your stencil it looks as though the glass has been etched. It can be removed someway if you sell the house later. Hope that helps!!

Michelle said...

What a transformation. It really did make a difference...$12! Oh, the "J" will look great!

the tichenor family said...

I was about to suggest a decal, then I scrolled down!! Beautiful bathroom...

Kim W. said...

Love it all, as always! ;) Hope yall are great! PS. We so might be up for a Steinmart/Dallas trip! I need it!

Mark and Jenn said...

Whitney...I saw at some place we went to eat in NY that they just put framed mirrors up over the big full sized mirror...it looked really cool. Not sure how you hang it exactly, but it's something to think about! Your bathroom looks awesome!

Mandy said...

WOW! That is fantastic!

I LOVE that vinyl letter you have in your shower!! What a creative idea!

Unfortunately, I think it would take more than $12 to make over my bathroom...LOL!

Great Job!