Monday, June 30, 2008

8 years

** We've now been married almost 10 years... I wrote this post almost 2 years ago!*  :)
July 1, 2000 When we were dating


Here's our family now!!


Jason and I are celebrating our 8 year anniversary tomorrow (Tuesday). I can't believe it has been 8 years! Wow! We started dating 10 years ago this summer.

Here's our "how we met" story...

Coach Jackson who is now the head coach at Sweetwater, was the head football coach/ AD in Olney when I was in school, so he coached me in track. He was also one of Jason's coaches at Odessa High. When Jason quit occupational therapy school, he began subbing in Odessa. That summer Coach Jackson called and offered him a job in Olney. So he accepted it and began coaching there. I was in school at Texas Tech and my Aunt Mondie and Coach Jackson decided Jason and I needed to meet. I think Coach Jackson convinced Jason that I was perfect for him b/c I liked to snow ski. Poor guy, didn't know that his 2-3 times a year snow skiing trips would pretty much end a few years after we got married (you know... coaching and kids will do that). So, I came home and went to a pep rally. After the pep rally, Coach Jackson basically said, "Jason this is Whitney, Whitney this is Jason," and walked off. You talk about UNCOMFORTABLE! If you know Jason, you know he could care less about fashion, and what he said to me was, "I like your shoes." Yes, definitely uncomfortable!

So, Jason asked me if I wanted to go with him to Allsups (yes, Allsups!!!) to get a drink. We went, he got a drink and he asked me out the next night b/c they were getting ready for a game (it was Halloween weekend on a Friday afternoon). We went to Chilis and to watch, "The Edge" the next night. We had a great time and I really liked him, but he didn't call me again! What was he thinking?

I think I did call him like a week later and maybe we talked when I was home over Christmas, but for the most part I had decided it wasn't meant to be. Then, I came home over the summer to teach swimming lessons, life guard, and take some summer courses. I saw Jason driving down the road one day and I waved but he didn't wave back. Later I learned that he had his hands full of Sonic drinks he was getting for all the coaches.

That night after I saw him, I had a message on my answering machine from him. I was so excited but was actually dating someone. I knew the person I was dating was not the one, but felt really guilty when Jason asked me out, so I told him I had to work a pool party. Then, so I wouldn't feel bad about lying, I asked another guy I worked with at the pool if he would switch with me and let me work his pool party that night. Well, God must have had other plans, b/c the party got canceled and I knew I was crazy if I didn't give Jason a shot, so I stopped by his house. We talked until early in the morning and the rest was history.

We were inseperable all summer and when I went back to school in the fall, neither of us were sure what would happen. That fall, we saw each other every other week. That spring, we saw each other every weekend. Then, Jason decided to go back to school and get his Master's degree, GA for the football team, as well as get certified to teach. He ended up going back to Angelo (where he had played college ball), so I transfered there b/c we were miserable being apart. We were engaged a year later.

When I think back to when we were dating and that daring move to San Angelo on my behalf, I think of how much fun we had! Every weekend Jason came to Lubbock, we almost always hung out at the Caprock Cafe and listened to the band. In San Angelo, we went to Blaines a lot and we even went to see a Vanilla Ice concert one time. Jason almost got into a fight with a guy b/c he lifted my skirt up. One of his players had to stop him. Oh' man, we've both changed a lot as far as those things are concerned. And I can't forget the San Angelo and Luckenbach picnics. Our friends Ray and Yvonne even bought us a brick at Luckenbach with our names on it for Christmas one year. It was definitely a blast!

A lot has happened since then including two precious girls! Jason is the best Dad and husband anyone could ask for! I look forward to what the next 10 years will bring.

12 comments:

Shelley said...

Happy Anniversary! I love hearing people's stories about how they met!

ajphillips said...

I never knew he said "I like your shoes...that's hillarious."

Let me know what time I need to keep the girls.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!! Eight years and 2 beautiful daughters later......and here is to the rest of your life...may it always be full of love, joy, and happiness!!!

You both have accomplished so much both personally and professionally. I am very proud of you.

Always with my heart,
Gran Jan

Ashlee said...

That's a cute story...Happy Anniversary!! May you have many more to come!!

Melissa said...

I LOVE how we met and dating stories - yours is great. Ya'll are such a great couple. Enjoy your day!

The Wiemers said...

Happy Anniversary! I can't believe it has been 8 years. I forgot it was your anniversary today.

Lindi said...

You were a gorgeous bride AND you look fantastic as a blonde and a brunette. Sweet, sweet memories. Vanilla Ice, Really? But then again, we all loved Ice Ice Baby!

Tara G. said...

Whitney- "I like your shoes!!" That's hysterical! I totally love it! You looked beautiful on your fairy tale day and I hope you can share the proposal story in a couple of weeks! Happy Anniversary!!!

Brandi said...

Visiting from YH. Love the "how we met" story! Hope y'all had a wonderful anniversary! :)

annalee said...

love reading your story!

Heather said...

I love this story, and I hate it when someone introduces you to someone and then just walks off! Um, hello awkward!! I love seeing the pics, you guys are so cute!!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

What a beautiful header and a great story. My husband coached football for 30 years and I loved every minute of it....Had a few hours to blog hop tonight......so glad that I stopped here....Be sure and stop by and read about a miracle in our family....
http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/2010/04/i-think-god-smiled.html
http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com/