Wednesday, November 14, 2007

A plug for Dr. Tadvick

I wouldn't normally mention Dr. Tadvick's name since anyone really could read this blog, but I just have to make a post about his kindness. I'll start by explaining what has happened... my regular Dr. called yesterday to say that my TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) had gone up out of the normal range even after he increased it 50 mcg two weeks ago. This happened the last time I got pregnant and I know it wasn't the cause of my miscarriage but it's always in the back of my mind as a possibility. Untreated or undertreated hypothyroidism during pregnancy is known to increase the risk of miscarriage as well as increasing the risk of cognitive delays and low IQ. Trust me, I've read up on every study done on hypothyroidism during pregnancy. Your thyroid produces thyroxine which is very important for brain development.

Anyways, when I went to Dr. Tadvick this morning for my sonogram and told him about it, I just broke down in tears. Part of it is just the stress of going in every week and wondering if everything's ok, part of it is just the frustration of not being about to get my TSH where it needs to be, hormones, and my lack of sleep.

Anyways, of course he was sympathetic and reassuring, but what amazes me is that at 6:30 this evening, I was talking to my mom and Dr. Tadvick beeps in. So, I was like, "Gotta go, Dr. Tadvick's calling," and of course I was thinking, "What's wrong?" I answer and he says, "I just wanted to call and reassure that this pregnancy looks very good and please don't be worried about your thyroid." Then he tells me that he has looked up more information and research on hypothyroidism and pregnancy just to make sure he was up to date on the latest. Now, honestly, how many Dr.'s would do that? He could be at home spending time with his family, but he was at his office calling to reassure me. I just think he is the most amazing Dr. I know many of you go to him, and already know how wonderful he is, but truly tonight, he went above and beyond and I am so thankful.

3 comments:

Shelley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shelley said...

Thank God for caring doctors! We will be praying for you and this little one and for all the doctors in your life :) Thanks for sharing this story with us. It proves there is still goodness in the the world.

Robyn said...

You know what's sad. As I read your post, I got to thinking how now-a-days we have come to expect mediocre (sp?) treatment from our physicians. When one does actually do what they are supposed to do, we think they have gone above and beyond. I have been blessed with some awesome doctors in the past, but have definitely had my share of jerks and I am glad you have found one that is taking great care of you and your baby. Sorry for the soapbox, but I get very irritated with medical people sometimes. Especially after all we went through with Anna and her finger stuff.